Re: RFC 2119 terms, ALL CAPS vs lower case

2012-05-18 11:41:38

On May 16, 2012, at 10:22 PM 5/16/12, Ned Freed wrote:

On May 16, 2012, at 5:22 PM 5/16/12,
ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

 The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
 "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
 document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119] when they
 appear in ALL CAPS.  These words may also appear in this document in
 lower case as plain English words, absent their normative meanings.

i like this a lot

I agree. In fact I just incorporated it into the media types registration
update.

To be sure of meaning and help confusion avoidance, I would prefer that the
key words not appear in the document in lower case and that authors use the
suggested replacement words (or break out the thesaurus?).

Preferring it is one thing; I'm OK with that. Making it some sort of
hard-and-fast rule is another matter entirely. We have too many of those
as it is.

Well, here's another example of imprecision in the written word.  What I meant
is that my preference would be a requirement that RFC 2119 key words not appear
in lower case at all.

Seems to me that precision of meaning overrides graceful use of the language.
Making the requirement something like "RFC 2119 key words SHOULD NOT appear in
lower case unless the lower case usage is clearly non-normative" means we have
to think a lot harder about some details and (AD hat and reading glasses firmly
in place) we have enough details to think about already.  So, I recommend an
errata to RFC 2119: "These words MUST NOT appear in a document in lower case."

- Ralph

                              Ned