Re: RFC 2119 terms, ALL CAPS vs lower case

2012-05-18 13:36:06

On May 18, 2012, at 2:27 PM 5/18/12, Randy Bush wrote:

I recommend an errata to RFC 2119: "These words MUST NOT appear in a
document in lower case."

first, that is not an erratum, it is a non-trivial semantic change.

You are correct and point taken.

second, do we not already have enough problems being clear and concise
without removing common words from our language?

Dave Crocker's suggestion would minimize the number of words taken out of our
vocabulary:

I'd be inclined to change 2119 to reserve only Must, Should and May,
independent of case and for no other use, and release the other terms.

In addition to "clear and concise" we need precision and avoidance of ambiguity.

- Ralph

randy