Re: So, where to repeat? (was:Re: management granularity)

2012-08-06 19:15:08

I've never been to an IETF meeting where the plane fare has exceeded the
hotel cost for a week.

note: I pay my own way, and make all my own arrangements.

The only meetings where my hotel costs exceeded my transporation costs
were the Montreal IETFs (I live in Ottawa).  When I've flown I have
seldom ever been on direct flights.

I *do* avoid the main hotel if the price is poor.  I did get the
Sheraton Wall (backup hotel IETF84), via hotwire.com, which surprised me.

I find staying over saturday night no longer has any affect on my travel
costs.

I do prefer returning to the same places, and I do like Minneapolis.
(Yes, even in March and November)

I am more concerned that we have three north-american IETFs in a row
(Vancouver, Atlanta, Orlando), and 4 of the next 6 are in North America.
(Not counting Hawaii as North America for the purposes of travel
budgets, or it's be 5/7)

I'm also concerned about going popular places (Quebec, Orlando) during
peak tourist season.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works