Re: ITU-T Dubai Meeting

2012-08-07 02:10:21
On 06/08/2012 23:02, Martin Rex wrote:
Steven Bellovin wrote:
Randy Bush wrote:
whatever the number of address bits, if it is fixed, we always run out.
memory addressing has been a cliff many times.  ip addressing.  ...
Yup.  To quote Fred Brooks on memory address space: "Every successful
computer architecture eventually runs out of address space" -- and I heard
him say that in 1973.

I'm wondering what resource shortage would have happened if IPv6
had been massively adopted 10 years earlier, and whether we would have
seen the internet backbone routers suffer severely from the size
of the routing tables, if every single home customer (DSL subscriber)
would have required a provider-independent IPv6 network prefix rather
than a single, provider-dependent IPv4 IP Address.

That was never a likely scenario (and still isn't). PA prefixes are still
the norm for mass-market IP, regardless of version number.

     Brian