Re: ITU-T Dubai Meeting

2012-08-08 04:04:52

On 07.08.2012, at 00:02, Martin Rex wrote:

Steven Bellovin wrote:

Randy Bush wrote:

whatever the number of address bits, if it is fixed, we always run out.
memory addressing has been a cliff many times.  ip addressing.  ...

Yup.  To quote Fred Brooks on memory address space: "Every successful
computer architecture eventually runs out of address space" -- and I heard
him say that in 1973.

I'm wondering what resource shortage would have happened if IPv6
had been massively adopted 10 years earlier, and whether we would have
seen the internet backbone routers suffer severely from the size
of the routing tables, if every single home customer (DSL subscriber)
would have required a provider-independent IPv6 network prefix rather
than a single, provider-dependent IPv4 IP Address.

... add to that: what would have happened if the IETF had not underestimated
the life expectancy of IPv4 address space so drastically and  consequently had
taken the time to design  a better IPv6  with things like wire compatibility
with IPv4, better routing and other features that make ISPs want to deploy it.
Ah - what if ....... . Amusing musings but not more than that.

Daniel