Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-08 13:56:02

On 9/8/2012 8:19 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 9/7/12 7:58 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
What can that mean if it remains available to the public?  What
purpose does such an automatic timeout have if it is left up? IMO,
none.

It seems to me that the "timeout" takes the draft out of consideration.

A new draft supercedes that timeout.

And if they're "useful", then you're admitting that continued discussion can occur after 6 months.

At which point there is no meaning to expiration. Any note regarding how long the discussion of a draft should occur would be on the mailing list anyway, and thus no longer would belong on the document.

---

I'm baffled by the notion that posting IDs forever is OK, but that simply removing the "Expires" statement is so controversial.

Joe