Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-08 14:00:25
On 9/8/12 10:51 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
Nothing about an ID is inherently obsolete or out of date after 6 months
except its being publicly available on authorized sites (up until now).

I think this is absolutely incorrect.  Internet Drafts are IETF
documents, and expiration changes the relationship between the draft
and the IETF.  I have to say that I think it's terribly unprofessional
not to hang onto archival material and frankly it's in the interest
of the IETF as an *open* standards organization to keep archival
material accessible.

When you're working on a problem that's been around forever and
still hasn't been solved (like, oh, I dunno - firewall/NAT traversal?),
easy access to expired drafts is an enormous help.

Would you be more comfortable if there were some sort of visual
flag that a draft had expired?

Melinda