Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-08 20:36:52

On 9/8/2012 11:59 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 9/8/12 10:51 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
Nothing about an ID is inherently obsolete or out of date after 6 months
except its being publicly available on authorized sites (up until now).

I think this is absolutely incorrect.  Internet Drafts are IETF
documents, and expiration changes the relationship between the draft
and the IETF.  I have to say that I think it's terribly unprofessional
not to hang onto archival material

Draft != archival

Or do you keep copies of all versions of papers you publish, including the ones submitted for review? In case lawyers might need it, or for the benefit of the public?

and frankly it's in the interest
of the IETF as an *open* standards organization to keep archival
material accessible.

Agreed.

When you're working on a problem that's been around forever and
still hasn't been solved (like, oh, I dunno - firewall/NAT traversal?),
easy access to expired drafts is an enormous help.

The needs of the community - including the lawyers - do not outweigh the rights of the author or the agreement they make with the IETF to date.

The original point of having drafts expire seems to have been forgotten here. That's a pity. It did have a reason, and it was useful.

Would you be more comfortable if there were some sort of visual
flag that a draft had expired?

If you post it, it's not expired. There's no point in claiming otherwise.

Joe