Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-07 21:36:30
This raises the question of what "expires" means.

At the least, if IDs are published publicly forever, then "expires" is no
longer meaningful and the entirety of that notion needs to be expunged
from the ID process.

But you haven't addressed SM's comment. The point is that you and I have
different views of what it means for a draft to expire.

You seem to think it means something like "expunged from the record, and no
longer available for viewing."

I think it means "no longer current for the purposes of work and
discussion."

And I think those are very different things.  The fact that expired drafts
used to not be available for public viewing on the IETF site does not, by
itself, mean that that was or is the intent of expiration.

Barry