Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-10 15:31:15
>>> Let's say I write to the IESG and say this:
>>>
>>>   Due to a late night editing error, draft-foo-bar-42 which I
>>>   submitted yesterday contains several paragraphs of company
>>>   confidential information which you can easily see are irrelevant to
>>>   the draft.  My boss wants it taken down pronto, even though he
>>>   realizes that third parties may have made copies of it in the
>>>   meantime.  I will probably lose my job if it stays up for more than a
>>>   few days.  Thanks for your consideration.

> Exactly. This sort of thing is wh a policy is needed, although I note in
> passing that the folks at this hypothetical might want to read up on the
> Streisand Effect.

Note that I phrased it as a polite request, not a threat.

I don't see that as especially relevant: There have been plenty of cases where
a polite request called attention to something that would otherwise have been
ignored, although of course the ones that get reported at
http://www.thestreisandeffect.com/ tend to be the ones where bad behavior
was involved.

>> And again, this is best developed with counsel.
> A very emphatic +1 to this.

Sure, but keep in mind that it's one thing to minimize legal risk,
is not the same as minimizing cost or complexity, or doing what's best for
the IETF and the community.

The narrow goal of minimizing the immediate legal risk is hardly the only, or
even an especially good, reason to seek advice of counsel. Counsel is there to
assist you in understanding the legal implications of your possible choices and
then in implementing the choice you make. They are not there to make your
decisions for you.

                                Ned