Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-22 09:34:08
Answering two bits I happen know the answers to:

On 9/21/12 7:48 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

--- DRAFT IESG STATEMENT ---
[...]
While entries in the I-D Repository are subject to change or removal
at any time,

They are? Is this new? I thought the only established removal policy was the regular 6-month timeout.

2026, section 2.2:

   An Internet-Draft is NOT a means of "publishing" a specification;
   specifications are published through the RFC mechanism described in
   the previous section.  Internet-Drafts have no formal status, and are
   subject to change or removal at any time.

That language dates back to RFC 1310 (March 1992). Not new.

An I-D will only be removed from the Public I-D Archive with consensus
of the IESG.  There are two situations when the IESG will take this
action.  First, to comply with a duly authorized court order.  Second,
to resolve some form of abuse.

This second basis looks sufficiently broad and vague to invite its own abuse and certainly inconsistent application. Did IETF counsel express comfort with this language?

Counsel actually wanted us to broaden the language, thinking "abuse" was too limiting.

pr

Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102