Re: Exceptional cases

2012-10-26 06:49:35

On Oct 26, 2012, at 3:11 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

On 26/10/2012 02:22, Richard Barnes wrote:
would be wrong. The idea here is that applying _punitive_ action (such
as removal from a position) retroactively is not "fair,"
Oh, for heaven's sake.  This is nothing to do with punishment.  This
is a straightforward administrative problem.  Turning this into an
opportunity to exercise a heavyweight and in fact punitive process
would be an injustice.  If the IETF has wound itself into such
bureaucratic knots that we can't just make an exceptional decision in
exceptional circumstances, we are in much worse trouble than I
thought.

+1

+(much more than 1, actually)

What he said. Common sense should prevail. We can fix *this* tiny gap in
our procedures in due course, but we will need to apply common sense again
the next time we find a tiny gap.

I also agree.

The existence of an inappropriate tool (the recall process) should not prevent
us from doing the right thing here.

Margaret