Re: IESG Considering a Revision to NOTE WELL

2012-11-06 13:42:54

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012, Dave Crocker wrote:

On 11/6/2012 12:38 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:25
AM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

{ the directive here is remarkably soft.  much too soft, IMO.  a
sentence structure that's a bit too complicated.  so...}

A contribution by you consists of anything you write, say or
discuss in any IETF context.  If you are aware that any
contribution you make is  covered by
a patent or a patent application, you are REQUIRED to disclose
that fact IMMEDIATELY.

I note that this is not the same language as is in BCP 79, which
says: " as  soon as reasonably possible " instead of IMMEDIATELY.  I
don't believe the NOTE WELL should disagree with the BCP on that
point.

Thanks for checking the BCP language.  Hadn't occurred to me that it had
anything close to an 'urgency' tone.  Yes, we should use exactly the same text
here, IMO.

My main concern is that the summary communicate both an imperative to report
and a directive that it be done real soon.

I agree with real soon, but I think there may be times when the disclosure
needs to be approved by coporate legal folks, so I think something like:

   as soon as legally permitted

implies immediacy but ackowledges real world constraints.