Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

2012-11-09 11:46:48
Hi Abdussalam,
At 06:31 09-11-2012, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
I am newcomer and not able to attend because most of meeting in
America instead of Europe.

Most of the money comes from North Americans. There is some historical information in RFC 3717.

I don't know how long do they remain, for me I am feeling disapointed.

Could you please elaborate on why you are feeling disappointed?

hope treated equal with all participants,

The problem with treating everyone as equals is that the newcomer has the same opportunity as the person who has been attending the IETF meetings since a long time. In practice, newcomers are given a slight advantage. It depends on whom you are dealing with. The suggestion is to be patient with the old people.

For me I still did n't attend but understand that many old
participants are biased and there seems no equal opportunity, people
don't always follow the IETF mission and procedure, they just follow
their ways as long there was no complain.

The mission says that the IETF will make the Internet work better. That is the public relations explanation. The better explanation could be like this: Let's say I dislike you and we are both part of a group writing a specification; the mission is to get that specification written. The problem is for the people taking decisions to see how to get us both to agree so that the group can produce a specification.

Now, let's say that you did not win the argument. If you feel strongly about the argument, e.g. you want to prove that you are right, you believe that something bad will happen if the protocol is designed in such a way, etc., you can complain about it. If nobody complains there is an assumption that everything is ok.

If you want to complain, explain what was wrong and what you would like to be done about it. I suggest reading RFC 4144. The procedures are there in case you feel that you have been ignored and you want to do something about it.

I call all newcomers to open a new WG and start complaining because we
have to discuss why we were disapointed of the IETF and IESG, and even
the Internet Society.

You don't need a working group to discussion; you can discuss on this mailing list. It is likely that the IESG will take action on your proposal if you can build support for it.

By the way, your message does not explain why you are disappointed with the Internet Society.

Regards,
-sm