Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

2012-11-12 08:57:55
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se>

Well, it's hard to say what caused an email I sent (new thread, pitching
idea, asking if it was relevant to the WG) to not get responded to.

Perhaps it was irrelevant or uninteresting but nobody wanted to say so. I
don't know, if I don't get a response, I tend not to push the issue.

The operational rule in the IETF is "Everyone may speak.  Not everyone
is listened to."

More or less by definition, your message was uninteresting.  The
question is why was it considered uninteresting.  One way to find out
would be to send private messages to respected people in the WG and
ask what they think of the idea.  ("socializing the idea") Of course,
they might not answer either.  One way to build up enough credibility
to get respected people to answer you is to do thankless jobs.  In
most WGs, there are never enough people who are willing to read and
provide detailed critiques of drafts.  (And believe me, almost all
drafts need significant improvements of their presentation, and often
of the technology.)  And the quality of your critiques of drafts is a
good way to demonstrate your technical skills.

Dale