Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

2012-11-12 02:09:19
On 11/11/2012 18:06, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
So elaborating on what the benefit of being there physically would
probably help. Remote participation both during and between meetings is
crucial for a lot of people I would imagine (it is for me anyway, it's
my only chance to participate). Getting a low bar for entry into the
discussions is what I feel is the biggest advantage of the IETF model,
some WGs really work well in this aspect.

For WGs that do *not* have a low bar for entry, a detailed complaint to the
chairs and the AD would be very appropriate (and probably more effective than
a rant on this list).

There's no doubt that personal attendance is the best way to get a full
understanding of how the IETF works, but remote participation is
supposed to work.

BTW, I originated the http://www.ietf.org/newcomers.html page and
if any newcomers have comments on the text please send them to me
off-list.

    Brian