RE: Useful slide tex (was - Re: English spoken here)

2012-12-03 07:53:49
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Melinda Shore
it's kind of weird that we cut off discussion so that we can proceed to the
next presentation.  It's done all the time (I've done it, myself) and
while there's definitely a sense that we need to cover the material
we've said we're going to cover in a meeting, why does breadth take
priority over depth?

[WEG] I think this requires making a judgment call between a ratholed
discussion, or an impasse between two strongly held opinions vs. meaningful
progress. Sometimes the former and the latter masquerade as each other and are
therefore mishandled.

Again, comes down to how the meeting is structured - do you prioritize a set of
current drafts that need to have meaningful discussion, and accept the fact
that presentations on new work might lose their timeslots if discussion runs
long? I think that's an acceptable risk, especially since anyone who is
technically on the agenda can build a presentation and have it be in the
proceedings so that people can review after the meeting. I know I had more than
one meeting where there were many valuable presentations, and a large number of
them were added to the agenda with zero minutes allocated, so that they'd be
ready if we had time to discuss them during the meeting once the priority
discussions were completed, but also so they'd be in the proceedings when we
didn't.

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.