Re: Useful slide tex (was - Re: English spoken here)

2012-12-04 07:30:17
On 3 Dec 2012, at 18:11, Fred Baker (fred) <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

I agree with the notion that the primary purpose of the meeting is
discussion. What you and I tell those who present in v6ops is that we want
the presentation to guide and support a discussion, and anything that is pure
presentation should take no more than half of the time allotted to them. I
don't see that the tool is the problem, it's the user of the tool, and we all
vary in our presentation/discussion skills.

Exactly. If the "presentation" is one slide listing the key changes in the
document since the last revision/meeting, and one slide per key question/issue
being asked of the room, then that should help facilitate good discussion, not
hinder it.

What doesn't work is a 15 minute presentation of the current contents of a
draft that leaves a couple of minutes for questions.

It's not the tool, it's how it's used.

And fwiw I think Fred and Joel have done a decent job of this in v6ops, and one
of the things that's helped there is trimming out drafts that don't have
evidence of a decent level of mail list discussion.

Tim