Re: Idea for a process experiment to reward running code...

2012-12-03 16:53:47

On 12/03/2012 10:50 PM, David Morris wrote:

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:

I support this idea, but I think that free software should also be considered
as part of this experiment (free software and open source are not
synonymous).
 Using the acronym FOSS and defining it as Free or Open Source Software in
the
document would achieve this.

By my understanding free is not applicable in that software can be free
without the source being available. The key in my mind to the open source
sugestion is the ability of others to examine the actual code for coverage
of edge concerns or whatever. Open source is available today under many
license agreements. Free is not a requirement to achieve the review
objective.

Folks, can we *please* not rat-hole on this? If the proposal gets to
an IETF LC, then I'll make sure to try find some wording that works for
folks who've expressed divergent opinions on the topic before the
start of IETF LC. So if you care about this, I'd ask that you wait for
an IETF LC before diving in, since a) it doesn't matter until then and
b) I promise, I'll try get some wording that works for all before then.

Thanks,
Stephen.