Re: Idea for a process experiment to reward running code...

2012-12-03 09:41:17
On Dec 3, 2012, at 15:25, Barry Leiba <barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org>
wrote:

But code that's written as part of a rote process, just to achieve
another check-box on the shepherd writeup and justify special handling
is not likely to provide any of those benefits.

+1.

As somebody who tends to think about security implications, the first thing
that came to my mind when reading this was how this experiment would be used to
game the system.  The results are so obvious I won't bother to write them down.

Society has a lot of experience with cases where, what used to be useful, but
gameable indicators, are turned into measuring instruments with great effect.
Analogous to all these cases, I think the main effect of this proposal would be
to destroy the remnant of usefulness that "running code" has in our current
(living) process.

Grüße, Carsten