Re: Running code, take 2

2012-12-14 10:17:35
Hi Tom,

I am myself somewhat puzzled by the current process, where such information is gathered prior to IESG review, because (in my limited experience) I have never seen the IESG reject a draft merely because it is unimplemented.

In any case, my proposal aims to move the burden to authors, who can, if they choose, document extant implementations. This information, where available, can allow the WG to better judge the maturity of protocol proposals.

In cases when implementors choose not to reveal their implementations, we are back in the existing situation. Hopefully more people would be motivated to share such details publicly if it gives them some benefit during the early standardization stages.

Thanks,
        Yaron

On 12/14/2012 01:15 PM, t.p. wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Yaron Sheffer" <yaronf(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: <adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "'Alessandro Vesely'"
<vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:52 PM
Hi Adrian,

I would suggest to start with my proposal, because it requires zero
implementation effort.

I am surprised at this.  Gathering information about implementations is
something that happens in some WGs and not in others, but it is always
the chair that is driving it, often as part of the write-up prior to
IETF Last Call.  This takes time, asking, chasing, clarifying, and
getting replies off-list because the implementor does not have
permission to reveal such matters to the world at large.

Since the WG Chair is a limited resource, and is on the critical path
for several actions in the progress of an I-D to RFC, asking them to do
more work can only delay the progress of RFC at large.  This is not a
zero sum game.

Tom Petch

                             If this catches on, I see a lot of value
in your
proposal.

Please also note that the "implementation status" section (according
my proposal) is not "frozen" when published as an RFC, rather it is
deleted. RFCs are forever, and I think a point-in-time implementation
status is not appropriate in an RFC.

Thanks,
Yaron