Re: The notion of "fast tracking" drafts

2012-12-16 16:39:36

Hiya,

On 12/16/2012 10:27 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 12/16/2012 04:49 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
ISTM that you are of the opinion that anything the IETF
does to go faster is bad in and of itself because its
scary.
It's not that simple, at least in my opinion.

I'm generally fine with fast tracking a document that describes a simple
protocol that is easily understood, easily implemented,
noncontroversial, and has a limited impact.  In all other cases, I think
that more deliberation is appropriate.   That's not to say that IETF
currently makes good use of deliberation time.  But I'd rather see it
make better use of that time, than to try to reduce that time without
first improving protocol and document quality. For example, I'd like to
see earlier and more explicit cross-area review.

All reasonable stuff and the draft says that this won't be suitable
for all cases. If you've better wording to suggest that'd be welcome.

Cheers,
S.

Keith