Re: The notion of "fast tracking" drafts

2012-12-16 14:50:08

--On Sunday, December 16, 2012 15:08 -0500 Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:

to this I'd add

(5) Widespread, examined belief that the specification has
minimal impact on the Internet architecture.

I keep seeing IETF standardize protocols that seem likely to
have seriously damaging architectural impact without much, if
any, examination of that impact (the PCP and MIF work come
most immediately to mind, but I could cite several others
given a few minutes to think about it).  I'd hate to see a
fast-tracking procedure used as a way to further circumvent
such examination.

I think I would have said "impact on the Internet architecture
is well-understood and judged to be acceptable" instead, but we
agree about the general principle.

   john