Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

2013-03-03 14:15:59

"Eric" == Eric Burger <eburger(_at_)standardstrack(_dot_)com> writes:
    Eric> There are two other interpretations of this situation, neither
    Eric> of which I think is true, but we should consider the
    Eric> possibility. The first is the TSV is too narrow a field to
    Eric> support an area director and as such should be folded in with
    Eric> another area. The second is if all of the qualified people
    Eric> have moved on and no one is interested in building the
    Eric> expertise the IESG feels is lacking, then industry and
    Eric> academia have voted with their feet: the TSV is irrelevant and
    Eric> should be closed.

To be considered qualified the candidate needed to:
  a) have demonstrated subject matter expertise (congestion in this case)
  b) have demonstrated IETF management expertise (current/former WG chair)
  c) have time available

Generally speaking, people who can not satisfy (c) do not show up on the
list of nominees, as they have to decline the nomination.
There definitely are many people who have (a) and (b), but not (c).

Were money not an issue, filing this position would be easy.

The nomcom then needs to look at the remaining candidates and along with
the confirming body (the IAB) determine if they can compromise on (a)
or (b).

Brian has suggested that (b) is more important than (a).

===

Of course, this HHGG quote might apply. (I seem to be listening to the
radio play this afternoon...)
     To summarize: it is a well known fact that those people who most
     want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do
     it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting
     themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the
     job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works