Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

2013-03-04 17:06:11
On 4/03/2013 15:57, John Leslie wrote:
Eggert, Lars <lars(_at_)netapp(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Mar 4, 2013, at 13:18, Eric Burger <eburger(_at_)standardstrack(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I will say it again - the IETF is organized by us. Therefore, this
situation is created by us. We have the power to fix it. We have to
want to fix it. Saying there is nothing we can do because this is the
way it is is the same as saying we do not WANT to fix it.
what is "the fix"?
    There is an obvious place to look for ideas: the directorates. See:

http://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate.html
That would help if the AD job would not be a full time job. Sure.
And I see some suggestions in this email thread to rely more on the directorates. That makes sense (but reviews vary greatly, however)
One track not mentioned in this thread is the document shepherd.
The document shepherd job, when done according to RFC 4858 (see specifically section 3.2 and 3.3) would save a huge amount of time to the AD. Recently, for a single draft, I spent hoouuurrrssss trying to track all the open issues from the directorates and the IESG, and chasing the authors. On top of taking some time, I had to be become expert for every single aspect of the specification to evaluate whether the answer was right... while the document shepherd has already the expertise. We should probably stress (again) the importance of document shepherd function...

Regards, Benoit