Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

2013-03-04 08:13:30
One item to consider is to lower the work load of the AD, in particular in reviewing docs towards of the end of projects. Issues and dilemmas are piled on. I think one approach to lowering appeals, for example, is to address unresolved delicate WG issues much faster, in particular the tough ones that reach an impasse and no normal "Rough" WG consensus. This is where the AD may and has helped but I also suggest we have a group of peers that can quickly resolve (make decisions) the more delicate WG issues that tends to hold back progress and piled more work on people to do which runs the risk of lower quality result and also apathy (give up on the work). It may better to ignore it to avoid endorsing a controversial direction. I have had two ADs in the past both apologize for not dealing with issues (reading the I-D) a lot sooner.

Perhaps, we should look at some of the IETF activities that makes it less appealing to even "apply" for the "job."