How do they select people (was: Appointment of a Transport Area Director)

2013-03-06 16:07:26
Hi Mike,
At 08:44 06-03-2013, Michael StJohns wrote:
I would suggest that it's probably time to re-convene the "how do we select people" working group. Given the number of issues - recall, IAOC, this, ineligible others - we've encountered lately, I don't think just cutting and pasting a new RFC over 3777 to patch holes makes sense.

There are some issues which may have to be addressed at some point. Patching holes creates an incomprehensible BCP.

There are some interesting details in RFC 3777. I don't know whether they have been exercised. Anyway, the question is about "how do they select people". It has been mentioned previously that:

  "One former chair pointed out that the NomCom moved pretty quickly
   from a model where a random sample of the community selects
   leadership based on personal experience to a model where the random
   sample of the IETF is expected to survey a large and increasing
   percentage of the total community in order to select leadership."

And:

  "It is possible for either the Nomcom or a confirming body  to wedge
   the process in a way where it cannot proceed."

One item which is not mentioned is that public lynching of candidates should never be encouraged.

The Nominating and Recall Committees have the latitude to get the work done. They are supposed to get the work done. When the selection process reaches a point where a working group slot is necessary to poke at people who have accepted to work for free, is there something wrong. When an impossible event turns out to be possible, is there something wrong?

Regards,
-sm