Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

2013-03-05 12:08:28
---- Original Message -----
From: "Eggert, Lars" <lars(_at_)netapp(_dot_)com>
To: "t.p." <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>
Cc: <l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>;
<martin(_dot_)stiemerling(_at_)neclab(_dot_)eu>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 4:18 PM
On Mar 5, 2013, at 15:10, t.p. <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com> wrote:
The question is can we do with a
Transport Area Director whose congestion control skills are limited; I
am suggesting we can, because of all the work over the years in
congestion control and the relative stability of the topic.

Martin already mentioned RMCAT. And I mentioned Wgs wanting to build
"lightweight" UDP-based protocols, which are hitting transport issues
incl. congestion control all the time.

See these slides (mostly done by Magnus) for some of those issues. We
want someone on the IESG who is very familiar with them:
http://eggert.org/talks/ietf73-wgchairs-training.pdf

<tp>
And the concluding slide of that presentation says
Use a Standard Tranport!
while earlier it says

There are some standard building blocks available
AIMD
TFRC

so I am not persuaded that for Congestion Control, an AD needs  need any
more than a working knowledge, perhaps of 10 years ago, of what TCP
does. (Unlike security, where the 2013 thinking on, say, SHA3 is
necessary)

Tom Petch

Lars