Re: Nomcom off in the wilderness: Transport AD

2013-03-06 07:57:27

On 3/6/2013 4:26 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:
However, there is something you can do. Take a quick moment to look at
the set of nominees and consider what you know about their
qualifications.
 > I'd also appreciate private feedback on how I could improve my approach
for raising this concern. I'm not at all sure that sending this message
was the best choice,

I don't have an opinion about the current candidates. This note concerns Sam's effort: I think it's thoughtful and reasonable, within the bounds of the situation, IETF rules, and IETF culture.

And I have a further suggestion, which some other folk and I happened to have discussed privately some time ago and unrelated to the specific TSV situation...

There's an option available that the candidates might want to consider, to facilitate the public review of candidate qualifications:

Candidates fill out a questionnaire for Nomcom review. Roughly, it has two parts, with one that is available to Nomcom and the appropriate Confirming Body, and a second that is withheld from the Confirming Body.

     Candidates could choose to circulate the first part publicly.

Nomcom is prohibited from making these documents public, but the candidates are not.

The long-standing argument against publicly issuing this information is that it might be seen as politicking, and the IETF Nomcom process tries hard to avoid such opportunities. The language in the forms is necessarily self-promoting. After all, the candidate is trying to explain why they think they are appropriate for a job.

However there is a difference between explaining why you think you are qualified, versus the hype of politicking. One would hope that IETF participants can tell that difference. And it could be helpful for the community to see how a candidate sees themselves.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking