Re: Nomcom off in the wilderness: Transport AD

2013-03-06 08:19:02

On 3/6/2013 6:03 AM, Bert Wijnen (IETF) wrote:
Dave, it seems to me that with your suggestion it feels as if
you (or we the community) want to redo some of the nomcom work?
I.e. you do not trust their evaluations?

They also have received (I presume) lots of feedback on the candidates
and probably did some interviews. We do not have that info. So tough
to challenge them based on only nominees statements.

Bert,

I'm not commenting on the current Nomcom. I don't have an opinion about the current Nomcom.

Sam is calling for the community to do additional review of the current candidates and provide additional input. I am merely suggesting something that would facilitate that: People providing feedback can tailor their comments better if they have some idea of the candidates own statements to Nomcom.

The earlier, private discussion that I referenced was to the potential benefits of making the questionnaires public regularly, but that's a major policy change. My current suggestion does not require that, since it's a matter of personal choice by each candidate.

As for the possible long-term change in policy, different factors affect who provides comments to Nomcom and what comments they provide.

I can't see a downside to the public availability of a candidate's own statements to Nomcom about their background and qualifications. I see the upside of providing the community with a more complete gauge for judging what types of comments to provide as feedback to Nomcom about the candidate.

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking