RE: Nomcom off in the wilderness: Transport AD

2013-03-06 08:16:54
Dave,

        There's an aspect of what people tend to include when talking about
"politicking" that is
not - AFAIK - part of the job as a member of the IESG or as an AD.  That aspect
is the desire to be
much in the public.

        So far, it has not been any part of the normal duties of an IESG member
or AD to hold
press conferences, glad-handing with the masses, baby kissing, etc.

        Opening up the process to allow (read "encourage") candidates to "go
public" with their
(so far) relatively private observations about why they would be a good
candidate for the job is
very likely to effectively eliminate some potential candidates who are
unwilling to do so but are
otherwise completely qualified to do the job.

        This would become particularly true if the NomCom - and the IETF as a
whole - were to
develop expectations that this would routinely happen, or suspicions about
those who don't wish
to do so.

        Because this aspect of "politicking" should not become a criteria for
the job, there is more
to the general desire to avoid it than the notion that we just don't want to
see it.

--
Eric