Re: IPR view (Re: Internet Draft Final Submission Cut-Off Today )

2013-03-10 10:50:19
On 10 Mar 2013, at 8:46, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 3/10/2013 8:27 AM, Eric Burger wrote:
I do but don't care. With my IETF hat on, the whole point of the cut-off is
to enforce a physical barrier to ensure we do not ever hear, "I posted this
draft yesterday, let's talk about it" in a work group. With my legal
services hat on, with the US joining the rest of the world with
first-to-file, those few weeks of publication could mean the difference
between a free and open standard and a NPE swooping in and attempting to tax
the industry.

If that were a problem for all working groups, all the time, it might make at
least some sense.  But it isn't, so it doesn't.

It also entirely underestimates the ability of participants to generate new,
unreasonable demands...

Ultimately the problem you are using for justification is a matter of good
working group management.

Solve it with better management, not artificial barriers that are imposed on
everyone and that can be trivially routed around, albeit without the benefits
of using the I-D mechanism.

d/
--
Dave Crocker