Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-10 11:45:36

"IETF" == IETF Diversity <ietf(_dot_)diversity(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
writes:
    IETF> The letter below was sent to the IESG, the IAB, the IAOC and
    IETF> the ISOC Board this morning, in an attempt to open a
    IETF> discussion of how to increase the diversity of the IETF
    IETF> Leadership.  We are sharing the letter here to encourage
    IETF> community discussion of this important topic.

Thank you for this.

    IETF> For example, ten years ago, in February of 2003, there were 25
    IETF> members of the IETF leadership (12 IAB members and 13 IESG
    IETF> members).  Of those 25 members, there was one member of
    IETF> non-European descent, there was one member from a country
    IETF> outside of North America or Europe, and there were four women.
    IETF> There were 23 companies represented in the IETF leadership
    IETF> (out of a total of 25 seats).

    IETF> In February of 2013, there were 32 members of the IETF
    IETF> leadership (12 IAB members, 15 IESG members and 5 IAOC
    IETF> members).  Of those 32 members, there was one member of
    IETF> non-European descent, there were no members from countries
    IETF> outside of North America or Europe, and there was only one
    IETF> woman.  There were only 19 companies represented (out of a
    IETF> total of 32 seats).

For nomcoms that had a open list of willing candidates, I wonder if this
analysis could be repeated for the list of candidates for each year.  I
would also like to know what the diversity of the attendance is over the
years, and of ID authorship.

Given the time commitments involved and the need for support from
employers,  I do not believe the IETF will be able to achieve
significantly more diversity in it's leadership than we have in our
participants.  As an over-represented white male north american, I am
upset about this.

--
Michael Richardson
-on the road-