Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-10 12:26:35

On Mar 10, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Jari Arkko wrote:

Finally, I think we need to take diversity in the broadest sense. It should
include at least the following aspects: gender, geographical location,
culture, age, and type of background or business where you work in. For
instance, I think the IETF would benefit greatly from getting more younger
generation participants, and we should work hard to attract them and topics
that interest them. And I do not think we can just focus on the leadership.
The basis for increased diversity in the leadership is increased diversity in
IETF participation in general.

Good point, Jari.

Since the Nomcom selects the IETF leadership from the IETF community it is
necessary to have those people participating in the IETF in the first place. I
recall a number of discussions on the IETF mailing list on how to involve
younger people in the IETF, more folks from the application layer (in
particular the Web) community, more folks from smaller companies, etc. Needless
to say that this has been challenging. Looking forward to see proposals on how
to improve the situation.

Ciao
Hannes