Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-11 12:32:37
On 3/11/2013 9:23 AM, Ted Hardie wrote:
So, I said this once before on a previous thread, but I still believe that
this analysis is wrong.  From an organiational perspective, the aim of
fostering
diversity isn't "political correctness", it's enabling a larger pool
of candidates.

I tend to think of it as an effort to remove bias from the
system, which is probably consistent with the notion of
enabling more candidates.  I think that right now there's
a far narrower set of perspectives being represented among
the I* than among the IETF participants.  That's necessarily
the case when the I* is 30-odd people and there are several
thousand participants, but notably lacking among the
leadership are people who don't work for large manufacturers
and people who have first-hand knowledge of network
architectures and management practices in non-western
countries.  I think that makes us weaker.

Melinda