Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-11 13:43:21
Hi Melinda,

I certainly agree that there are challenges in getting those who work for
smaller companies to participate in the IETF (for known reasons). I believe the
IETF, however, does better than other organizations that have expensive
membership fees.

The country/regional participation is an interesting aspect. If you try to
figure out whether the IESG / IAB leadership is dominated from US participation
then the question is what do you take as a basis for that analysis.
You could, for example, take a look at Jari's draft/RFC statistics (see
http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/countrydistr.html). The stats say that
50.69% of the authors come from the US.

The IETF leadership has more than 50% of persons coming from the US.

The question is, however, whether this is a good measurement to consider all
the published documents as a basis for such an analysis. Also, if you look
through the list you see Henning as the first person in that list. Henning is
German. Mark Townsley as another example, can be found in the data about
authors from France. Mark, like Henning, just moved to another country.

Ciao
Hannes