Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-10 17:45:49
On 3/10/2013 1:04 PM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
+1.  We do not want to manage by ideology - consider how well that
serves political parties.
Right.

Well, I don't know.  To be honest "The I* should
contain more than one sort of human" doesn't sound *that*
ideological to me.  We've certainly got, I think,
compelling technical management reasons to be getting
more direction from people who, say, don't work for
behemoth manufacturers or who do know something about
network deployment and management practices in east Asia.

And I'll go on record requesting that folks think
pretty carefully before saying that including something
other than white western guys means lowering standards.

Anyway, at this point I'm really not sure how to
proceed with the discussion.  I'm convinced there's a
problem but I'm equally convinced that we can't make
progress on it given current organizational constraints.
I don't know how many people remember the "problem"
working group that Harald got started when he was IETF
chair.  Avri and I co-chaired it.  After nine or so months
of listening to people complain about nearly everything
about the IETF it was a little difficult to feel anything
but despair for the organization, and I think I could very
happily live without a rerun (especially if we start to
see unfortunate comments about affirmative action and
whatnot).

Melinda