Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-10 20:33:01
For what it's worth,

On 3/10/2013 5:45 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 3/10/2013 1:04 PM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
+1.  We do not want to manage by ideology - consider how well that
serves political parties.
Right.

My "right" here was in the context of the snipped line above "+1", which was

"That sounds a lot like quotas.  Let's not go there."

Well, I don't know.  To be honest "The I* should
contain more than one sort of human" doesn't sound *that*
ideological to me.

It doesn't sound *that* ideological to me, either.

My question was

"So is there anything you would like for the confirming bodies to say to Nomcom, that doesn't sound like quotas?"

So far, I've seen an observation that confirming bodies inserting themselves into the process of achieving a more diverse I* may be premature (quoting Randall, "I wonder if such a step might be better kept in reserve if other steps don't work? Especially because one of the later proposals is to better understand the causes of lack of diversity in the I* and specific measures to increase diversity? It might be better to take that step before this one").

That makes some sense to me. What am I missing?

Thank you,

Spencer