Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-10 21:08:48
On 3/10/2013 5:32 PM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
"That sounds a lot like quotas.  Let's not go there."

Right, I'm just not sure how we got to quotas and
whatnot.  We can have diversity metrics and measure
whether or not we're doing better or worse, or hitting
those metrics, without instituting "quotas," (so
I'm agreeing with what you're saying) but to be honest
I'm not really sure that I'd throw "quotas" out without
any further discussion.  On the other hand, as I suggested
earlier I'm pretty sure that no constructive discussion
of "quotas" is possible because there's such a strong,
instinctive negative reaction to the term (and possibly
to the idea).

Basically I kind of feel that we've immediately fallen
into the IETF trap of engineering solutions (and discarding
ones that we personally don't like) without agreement on
what the problem is.  Do you feel that what's described
in the letter is an accurate and complete description of
the/a problem?

Melinda