Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-11 13:50:35
On 03/11/13 14:41, Mary Barnes allegedly wrote:
This year's set of nominees was far more diverse than in the past and
yet the IESG will still be entirely male and entirely North
American/European.  Of course, only people that bothered to use the
tool to input comments would see that.  So, indeed the nomcom process
is part of the problem.

Mary: I believe you would agree with this but your language doesn't seem
to say so: just because the nomcom chose a less diverse set of nominees
from a more diverse set of candidates doesn't mean there is something
wrong with the nomcom or the nomcom process.  It may be that this nomcom
did take diversity into account, and diversity was outweighed by other
factors that are at least as important.  Do you have what you consider
to be proof that the nomcom didn't consider diversity?  I have direct
experience of at least a few nomcoms that did.  Are you looking for
quotas?  Do you think diversity is more important than e.g. demonstrated
ability to lead, at the top level?

Scott