Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-12 12:27:29
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Randall Gellens
<randy(_at_)qti(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:
At 2:03 PM -0500 3/11/13, Mary Barnes wrote:

 To suggest that
 someone is not qualified to be an AD because they shed tears in a
 contentious situation is unacceptable IMHO.

I'm confused as to why that would be considered a reason not to appoint
someone, regardless of gender.  Is it because tears makes others
uncomfortable or is it seen as an inability to be tough when needed?  It
doesn't make sense to me.

Especially because we've had ADs who screamed, yelled, threw things in WG
meetings.

[MB] I made a comment earlier in this thread that we have received
input to past nomcoms suggesting that would be the reason not to
appoint female nominees as opposed to males.  And, I highlighted that
the behavior you note is more typical (although not exclusive)
behavior of men when they get upset.  I do believe it is because tears
make many here far more uncomfortable then the screaming which seems
to be far more the norm here in my experience. [/MB]

--
Randall Gellens
plausible, and wrong.                            --H.L. Mencken