Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-11 16:04:08
At 1:43 PM -0400 3/11/13, Arturo Servin wrote:

        My opinion is that we agree we have a situation that we should improve,
 but also we shouldn't focus on the nomcom process, the problem is not
 about how we select people (it may help but it is not the root problem).
 The problem is to bring new people (younger people, women, from more
 countries, different languages, etc.) to write RFCs, to participate/be
 interested in the IETF and how we involve/prepare these people to become
 our leaders and not just participants. If we do that, then we will have
 more diversity in our leadership.

Don't forget we also need a broader set of people willing to serve. It's hard for many people to devote essentially full time to the IETF. Working for a company that sees the value in sponsoring this helps tremendously, which might be part of why employees of such companies dominate the I*.

--
Randall Gellens
DEFINITION: Computer -- A device designed to speed and automate errors.