Re: Mentoring

2013-03-14 15:27:17
I haven't observed that many newcomers at the newcomer meet-and-greet.
They seem to be overwhelmed (numerically) by the ADs+chairs that go, which
is reinforced by ADs+chairs using it as a taking-care-of-business
opportunity as John observed.

So, also along the "much as I like free beer", maybe it should be just the
ADs, unless the number of newcomers that go increases.

-MSK

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>wrote:

"Ted" == Ted Lemon <Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> writes:
    >> I personally believe that while strongly recommending to the WG
    >> chairs to adopt the concept we should leave the implementation up
    >> to each of them without much formalization and process
    >> building. Let us not forget that we will have a variety of WGs
    >> from large WGs meeting the first time with a lot of new
    >> participants to small WGs at their 20th or 40th meeting with a
    >> handful of new participants and anything in the middle.

    Ted> They will need a mechanism for addressing newcomers, unless we
    Ted> think that we can just rely on the working group mailing lists.

Let's assume for a moment that we do that.
First, WG chairs can receive a message when people subscribe.
They can also set some welcome text that go to new users.

If we leverage that part, then we can perhaps build a kind of
FAQ/Checklist for new people.   Given that I also said that I wanted
additional semi-official hats that can be delegated out, the roles of:
           1) list manager
           2) newcomer greeter

come to mind.

As to the newcomer meet and greet... I actually think we got it a bit
backwards.  I think that WG chairs should be uninvited. (as much as I
like free beer).  Rather, I think that the newcomer meet and greet
(and free beer) should follow the newcomer orientation session.

Instead, I think that newcomers need to meet other newcomers.  If they
are going to meet with a mentor/greeter person, then a slot just before
the reception would be good... I'd say just open the reception doors to
newcomers and the mentors 20 minutes early.

--
Michael Richardson
-on the road-