RE: Mentoring

2013-03-14 09:43:34

--On Thursday, 14 March, 2013 14:07 +0000 "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)"
<dromasca(_at_)avaya(_dot_)com> wrote:

I like it a lot!

Starting with IETF-87 I will reserve a breakfast slot for the
WG I am co-chairing and invite (in advance, the week before
the meeting) the new attendees interested in this WG to attend.

Ok, three suggestions:

(1) We should start working, now or next week, on an
informational packet for newcomers.  There should be a link to
it in the registration acknowledgment if someone checks
"first-time attendee" or its equivalent and it should be handed
to the newcomers in paper form when they pick up registration
materials (not put on a table somewhere, or accessed through a
link, but handed to them with their badges).

(2) The online registration materials should say, explicitly and
ideally in response to someone's identifying themselves as a
newcomer, that, if there are particular WGs they are interested
in, they should

        -- join the WG mailing list immediately, rather than
        waiting for the meeting
        -- send mail to the WG chair(s) or designee introducing
        themselves.

Of course, that requires that we tell them how to do those
things.

(3) I'd like to see a slot on the WG page (charter page maybe)
that identifies the newcomer-welcomer for the WG.  By default,
that ought to be the first-listed WG Chair.  That might provide
lots of incentive for delegation, but that is good too.  The
welcomer might merely be a human mentor-pointer, but that is ok
too.  The point is that every WG should have someone explicitly
responsible for being a newcomer contact point and we shouldn't
automatically stick the WG Chair(s) with the job.

   john