Re: Getting rid of the dot

2013-03-20 03:05:44
I agree with Brian.

IETF has no king.
If the badge said that somebody is a chair, it may imply that there has a
"king".

dot is better !

Jiankang Yao

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: "Carsten Bormann" <cabo(_at_)tzi(_dot_)org>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: Getting rid of the dot

On 18/03/2013 22:10, Carsten Bormann wrote:
I wouldn't mind replacing my blue dot with an indication *what* WG I chair,
and in which area that is.

Might be a bit more logistics when chairs change, but nothing that can't be
solved with a DYMO labelmaker.

I can only speak for myself, but I find badges hard enough to take
in at a glance even with the current amount of dot clutter. I don't
think that adding more detail is wise, and I think the notion that
"dot = knows what's going on" is simple and useful, even without
decoding the colour.

Heresy: I'm *not* convinced that putting labels on newcomers is such
a good idea, because it has exactly the opposite implication to a dot
of any colour.

  Brian