Re: Mentoring

2013-03-20 03:09:19
On 20/03/2013 01:23, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
On 3/19/2013 8:01 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:

I think this means we should closely consider the goals of a mentoring
effort. Is it to help them navigate the IETF structure, personalities,
and immune system to get something done? Is it to help them become the
next generation of IETF leaders? I suspect those two goals do not lend
themselves to the same approach.

Yeah, I agree with Ben here.

I'd go further and suggest that helping people get something done is a
good thing, and at least some of the people who have gotten something
done are more likely to to hang around, but if people want to be part of
the next generation of IETF leadership without actually getting
something done first, encouraging them may not take the IETF to a happy
place.

Correct, we wish to convert successful participants into long-term
participants and future leaders, and the first step is converting new
participants into successful participants [RFC4144].

However, I think an important part of that is ensuring that people
do *not* focus exclusively on a specific target, even if they are
busy people as Ben said.

   Brian