Re: Mentoring

2013-03-14 09:36:15

On 3/14/13 10:30 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:

On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Ted Lemon
<Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I think it might also be worth encouraging working group chairs
to have working group breakfast or lunch meetings (RSVP
required) where newcomers are invited to come meet the chairs and
chairs can strategically invite a few return attendees (but fewer
than newcomers so they don't get crowded out) to establish a
connection with the newcomers.   If this became common it would
probably require tool work, but what do folks think of the idea
in principle?

There's over 100 working groups,

I doubt that all WG chairs will do this, and Ted didn't say it would
be a mandate.

and about 5 slots, because lunch is often busy for WG chairs (*DIR
this, and tutorial that, and design team the other). So where would
you hold 25 parallel breakfast meetings? How would we ever manage
conflicts?

Informal breakfast get-togethers. Not meetings!

The return attendees you would want to invite would be the leaders
in your group, no?  I mean the ones who you'd naturally ask to
take minutes, volunteer to edit the new document, etc. They would
also tend to be overbooked for such slots (and often they are WG
chairs themselves).

Quite possibly.

Peter

- --