Re: Mentoring

2013-03-19 20:01:31

On Mar 18, 2013, at 7:42 AM, Jari Arkko <jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Seriously though, I am roughly in the same camp as Seiichi. The real
introduction of someone into the IETF is mostly about finding discussion
partners around the reason why the person came to the IETF to begin with.
Most of the time these would be peers within a working group. Like-minded
vendors, customers or researchers. Not everyone who comes to the IETF for the
first time is a beginner, they may for instance be established engineers on
their fields, and just coming to the IETF to accomplish a goal. We discuss
very interesting topics at the IESG and IAB, but I think the more direct way
to introduce someone to the IETF "network" is to connect the person with
others who work in the same topic. And maybe create some real co-operation
between those people, building additional reasons for the person to continue
to join our meetings.

I quoted Jari's entire paragraph for context, but my comment is in reference to
"Not everyone who comes to the IETF for the first time is a beginner, they may
for instance be established engineers on their fields, and just coming to the
IETF to accomplish a goal. "

This is important. We tend to think of the IETF as a thing. I'm not sure it is,
anymore. It's a collection of somewhat related working groups.

A lot of new attendees I have known, or talked to enough to understand why they
are here, came here to get something specific done. They are not newbies in
their field, and they don't come here to work in the IETF in general.
Typically this means they are interested in one or two working groups, unless
the thing they want to get done spans multiple interdependent groups. (If
that's the case, then they've got their work cut out for them unless they are
exceptionally good at organizing strangers.) And they have very busy real-world
jobs, and are sparing all the time they can just to make it to a couple of
working groups. I expect they are quite bemused when (and if) they sit through
a plenary open mike session, when we all go on about the IETF in general.

A few of these people will stay around and become leaders in their area of
interest, and maybe the IETF in general. Most won't. And that's probably
okay--or at least the best we can expect.

I think this means we should closely consider the goals of a mentoring effort.
Is it to help them navigate the IETF structure, personalities, and immune
system to get something done? Is it to help them become the next generation of
IETF leaders? I suspect those two goals do not lend themselves to the same
approach.