Re: Mentoring

2013-03-18 08:44:48
Not answering any specific email, just establishing position:

- I support a newcomers' list. However, I do believe that the definition
of newcomer must be relaxed a bit. A newcomer is not a 'first time
attendee'. Being a IETF youngster I would say that for the first three
meetings you are a newcomer. This may vary, but if I had to draw a line
somewhere, three would be my choice.

- Breakfasts / lunch meetings are great, but they are not enough. These
slots might need some augmentation. I don't have many ideas except
dinners and parallel slots while the WGs sessions are in progress.

- However tempting, I don't think ADs  / WG chairs are ideal mentoring
choices. During the IETF week they are drenched in work with their "area
directoring"/ "working group chairing" duties and most of them won't
have a lot of time for meeting newcomers and attending to their needs.

- Mentors SHOULD be notified of their duties within reasonable time, and
preferably be introduced to their 'pupils' via private email. I don't
know how hard this would be to implement, but it would definitely help.
Another thing to keep in mind: Do all newcomers want being mentored? I
can think of one or two cases I know personally that probably wouldn't
want a mentor.

- Moving the newcomers reception to later in the week is a MUST. Mentors
should obviously be also invited to this reception.

Warm regards,

~Carlos