Re: Mentoring

2013-03-18 15:49:56
On 3/18/2013 2:34 PM, Arturo Servin wrote:

        Yes and no.

        I would get rid of all the dots, possible yes.

In general, I like the scope of what's being questioned in the past week or so, even if the answer comes back "we talked about this, and the other stuff we could think of was worse" :-)

On dots, specifically ... I'm guessing from context that you're thinking red/IAB, yellow/IESG, blue/WG chairs, and possibly pink (technically the IRSG, but almost all the IRSG members are also RG chairs, so in this case, pink is like yellow and blue, mixed together).

There are dots, and then there are dots. The one I'd like to see continued the most is the orange dot, for Nomcom members. We choose the voting members at random out of a volunteer pool, with some qualifications but not a lot, for a specific duration. Perhaps there's value in helping the community identify Nomcom members quickly during breaks, etc.

For several years, I've scheduled meetings with Nomcom during their office hours, but I'm usually providing input on 10-20 willing nominees. It might be helpful for someone to chat with a Nomcom member and give feedback on one or two willing nominees in just a few minutes - that's what I'm talking about.

If the IAOC continues to hold open sessions at future IETF meetings, that's good; if not, perhaps there's value in helping the community identify IAOC members quickly, too.

For extra credit, picking a color that's easier to identify distinctly would help (I can't consistently tell the difference between "purple/IAOC member" and "blue/WG Chair" unless someone is wearing both).

IIRC, the green Local Host dots were intended to help people who weren't familiar with a meeting site find someone who was familiar with that site. Now that we have an IAOC, and attendees lists and meeting wikis, and a larger and more visible secretariat, green dots may have more value as recognition for meeting sponsors (and if giving out green dots matters to people who support the IETF financially, that's certainly sufficient as a reason to keep them!).

Just keep thinking carefully, as people are doing, and developing a better understanding about what we are doing and why it might have been our practice in the past ... and whether it's still a good idea now.

Thanks,

Spencer

        The new attendee tag, not sure. May change it for a dot.

        The tags is useful to identify new people and help. A mentor tag or dot
would be useful to people for not thinking that you are a weirdo trying
to make conversation.

        We need to get rid of old traditions if they do not longer apply, but
also we need to subtle identify people willing to help and people that
may need some help.

Regards,
as